Discipleship Frequently Asked Questions
How do I become a member?
The process has changed and been refined over the last few years.
- To become a member of Parklawn you need to complete the New Member Class
- This class is offered 4 to 6xs per year. The class is offered on a rotation of Sunday mornings, evenings, and Saturday mornings. Those desiring to attend the class should register through the Discipleship Brochure.
- The New Member Class presents the history, beliefs, and structure of Parklawn and the Assemblies of God and the Pentecostal Movement. Also, included is a video welcome from the Senior Pastor & First Lady. The class also covers how to get connected to the church, church tour, membership covenant, and opportunities to ask questions. Teaching on Christian foundational beliefs: sin, salvation, redemption, and the basic structure of the Bible.
- Each student is required to purchase a New Member binder sold in the class.
- Those who choose to become members are recognized during an in-class breakfast and certificate ceremony.
- The Steps to Membership Brochure provides the above information and is available in Journey Stations, at the Guest Services Desk, and in brochure racks throughout the Church.
What classes can I take as a non-member?
- Church Orientation (offered weekly- no charge) - Introduction to Parklawn
- Water Baptism Orientation & Water Baptism
- Baby Dedication (Parklawn dedicates children of regular attendees and pre-members)
Do you baptize babies?
We practice believers' baptism. This means a person must be able to confess Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. They must have conscious decision making ability to understand the confession and commitment to the Lord they are making. Because of this, we do not baptize children; we dedicate them to the Lord through prayer in a special one time ceremony. Baby dedication is available for children under 5 years of age.
When is adult baptism?
Every other month of the third Sunday.....May, August, October.....
Orientation is held the second Sunday of every other month prior to water baptism service. This orientation is mandatory for candidates. The orientation reviews the biblical basis of water baptism, Assemblies of God/Parklawn doctrine, process, and requirements.
Who do I call if I have questions?
- Discipleship, Christian Education, Cell Groups, & Marriage Enrichment - Pastor La Tonia Winston
- Prayer, Missions, Senior Saints, Stephen's Ministry, Funeral/Grief Care & Ushers and Greeters - Pastor Mary Hinton
- Youth and Young Adult's, Student Ministries - Pastor Greg Washington
- Children's Network, Promise Land, & Precious Moments - Pastor Wesley Edie
- Stephen Ministry - sick, hospitalized, grieving (Pat Hobson- Coordinator) - Pastor Mary Hinton
- Cafe - Hilary Kibarra Njagi
- Christian Education Assistant - Angela Amos
- Fine Arts & Music Ministry - Mario Brown
- Sound & Tech - Nick Harvey
- Women's Network - Pastor Judy Harvey & Pastor Mary Hinton
- Finance & Human Resources Hilary Kibarra Njagi (Contact assistant - Shanda Rodgers)
- Parklawn Christian Leadership Academy - Principal Myron Cain
Why should I attend a cell group?
Fellowship, Bible Study, Discipleship, family within the family, accountability, and connection
How do I choose a cell group?
Prayer, availability, location, connection to leader, special emphasis - (see brochure listing of cells)
What is Jesus Fraternity?
Men's large discipleship group; meets on Monday's 7pm to 8:30pm in Cafe; MEN can join at ANY time; contact Roger Rush, firstname.lastname@example.org; workbooks are located in River of Life Bookstore
How do I learn more about Parklawn Assembly of God?
Church Orientation and Welcome Visitor Brochure
When are services?
- Sundays; 8am and 11am
- Corporate Prayer - Wednesday's 6pm and Bible Study 7pm
Do you have a website?
How do I get involved in serving in ministries within the church?
Complete a Volunteer Form or contact the Volunteer Administration Team