- Societal Assessment: What we are dealing with in the earth is masses of people attempting to enjoy life according to rules set up by persons who set the rules with their own victory and security in mind.
- As long as it continues more people are going to quit and opt to do something different.
- The only way out of this miss is to get the instructions and learn how God the Creator intended for life to be.
- Definition of Rule
- -an authoritative regulation for action, conduct, method, procedure, arrangement; established practice that serves as a guide to usage
- -a complete set or code of regulations in a religious order
- -a fixed principle that determines conduct, habits, customs
- -something that usually or normally happens or obtains; customary course of events
- -government; reign; control
- God’s Rule
- From heaven, God always intended to rule on earth through a family of sons and daughters.
- Adam was set up for perpetual success, God gave him everything he needed. He gave him one rule.
- Gen. 2:17 “Don’t eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. When you do you will surely die.”
- When Adam broke the rule, everything changed.
- When Men/Women rule without the Spirit of God, the results are devastating,
- Who you consent to determines who’s leading you and in effect who’s ruling in you?
- Ephesians 2:1-3 (NLT) “Once you were dead b/c of your disobedience and your many sins. You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world, obeying the devil—the commander of the powers in the unseen world. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God. All of us used to live that way, following the passionate desires and inclinations of our sinful nature. By our very nature we were subject to God’s anger, just like everyone else. But God…”
- (AMP) You were following the ways of this world, in accordance with the prince of the power of the air (satan), the spirit who is now at work in the disobedient [the unbelieving, who fight against the purposes of God].
- (GNB) You followed the world’s evil way; you obeyed the ruler of the spiritual powers in space, the spirit who now controls the people who disobey God
- (MSG) You let the world, which doesn’t know the first thing about living, tell you how to live. You filled your lungs w/ polluted (unclean, impure, tainted) unbelief, and then exhaled disobedience.
- If you’re going to do life as God would have it, you can’t do it without Him. You need His Spirit.
- John 14:15-17
- Gal. 5:16-17
- Your lifestyle will reveal who’s rules you’re following.
- The Oppressive Rules that we decry today have ideological roots in these codes, these rules.
- Slave Codes: (Gave rise to Black Codes)
- Black Codes: (Predecessor to Jim Crow Laws)
- Black Codes were enforced by all-white police and state militia forces—often made up of Confederate veterans of the Civil War—across the South.
- If we want to overturn the “rules”, we’ve got to have the right ruler, ruling in and over us.
Speaker: Lead Pastor, Dr. Marcus L. Arrington
Date: Sunday, July 19, 2020
Sermon Series: Rated R: The Church Redux
Sermon Title: Rules and Rulers
Primary Text: Rev. 1:5-6